Type your email address below to receive news, announcements, and updates about things happening here at HFH in Douglas County.
Looking for an affordable home? We may be able to help.
Are you in need of safe, affordable housing?
- Do you have problems with the heating system, plumbing, electrical, building structure or other health or safety issues in your current home?
- Do you have insufficient bedrooms to meet your family’s needs?
- Do you live in an unsafe or unsanitary area?
- Have you lived or worked in the Douglas County area for at least one year?
- Are you unable to get a loan to purchase a home?
If you answered yes to one or more of these questions, you may be a candidate for a Habitat for Humanity home!
Do you meet our guidelines?
Guidelines include all forms of income: employment, public assistance, child support, alimony, social security, etc.
The income range is $20,000 to $50,460, depending on the size of family.
See our Family Selection Criteria Brochure for more information.
Your employment history, credit history, and ability to make monthly mortgage payments will also be considered.
These guidelines are currently effective, and Habitat reserves the right to adjust these guidelines at any time. If your family size is larger than listed above, please contact Habitat.
Are you willing to partner with us?
If approved for a Habitat home, you must be willing to:
• Provide 200 hours of “sweat equity” for each adult family member living in the home 18 years of age and older. (Sweat equity refers to actual hands-on experience. You will work alongside Habitat volunteers in building your home and the homes of others and help with other Habitat events and activities)
• Participate in Habitat’s training and educational programs and
• Accept the responsibility of owning your own home, making monthly mortgage payments on time and keeping the home and yard well maintained.
If you meet Habitat’s requirements and are selected for a home, Habitat will sell you a home at no profit. Mortgage payments include principal and escrow for taxes and insurance will be approximately $500 to $600 per month. Costs will vary based on taxes, insurance and size of home and lot.
Families not initially selected may reapply.
The selection of families who will purchase homes from Habitat for Humanity will be done by the Family Selection Committee in a way that does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, color, age, handicap, religion, marital status, or because all or part of the applicant’s income is derived from public assistance programs.
If you meet Habitat’s Requirements you’re invited to apply!
To pick up an application, just stop into the Habitat for Humanity office
If you are unable to stop into the office,
you can print an application English version OR Spanish Version
We encourage you to complete and return your application
Habitat for Humanity of Douglas County
1211 N Nokomis NE
Alexandria, MN 56308
All information is considered confidential and is to be used only for family selection. The application process takes between two to three months.
Equal Housing Opportunity: We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the nation. We encourage and support an affirmative advertising and marketing program in which there are no barriers to obtaining housing because of race, color, religion, sex, handicap, familial status or national origin.