What is Aging in Place?
Aging in Place is a program that partners with people age 65 or older to make improvements to the safety, accessibility or energy efficiency of the home.
Am I eligible?
You may qualify for the program if you meet the following criteria:
- I am 65 or older, or someone who lives in my home full-time is age 65 or older
- I own and live in my home full-time (rental properties are not eligible for this program)
- My home is in Douglas County, MN and I have lived there at least one year
- My income falls between 30-80% of the median income for Douglas County
What kind of work will be done?
Trained staff and Habitat volunteers will complete the work.
Examples may include:
- Easy-to-see contrast steps
- Grab bars
- Non-slip stair treads
- No-step door threshold
- Railings in halls and stairs
- Raised toilet seat
- Repair tripping hazards
- Secure door and window locks
- Minor lighting improvements: brighter bulbs, wireless controls, add lamps
- Easy-to-use cabinet pulls
- Lever-style door handles and faucets
- Small bathroom modification
- Widen doorways
- Replace caulking or sealing
- Weather strips to doors
Additional exterior improvements may include painting, siding, or landscaping.
What is the cost?Our Aging in Place program is a hand-up not a hand out. Repayment is determined on a sliding scale based on homeowner income to ensure affordability. Pilot program projects have a maximum cost of $5,000.
How do I apply?
Call our office at 320-762-4255 to request an application or click below to download and print the application.